640 High St., Comfort, Texas   830-995-2641
           Menu:     Home       Comfort       Sisterdale       Waring       Welfare       Contact
Upcoming Activities:

Meyer Hotel Complex - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)

Meyer Hotel Complex


Marker #3356 - 1981 German native Frederich Christian Meyer (1828-89) came to Comfort in 1862. A wheelwright, Meyer also ran a stage stop and weight station at this site. He later purchased the property, which included a small log cabin he enlarged by adding a second story. In 1869 he constructed a two-story stone residence here for his wife Ernestine (Mueller) (d. 1910), a midwife. A separate wooden structure was built for her work, south of the original log cabin in 1872. The building housed maternity rooms for use by the women of the surrounding area ranches. In 1887, when rail lines were completed through the area, Comfort began showing promise as a resort community. That same year, the Meyers constructed a two-story frame building south of their residence to serve as a hotel. The upper floor of the structure was used for guests and the ground floor housed a large kitchen and a dining room. With the help of their 8 children, Ernestine continued to operate the hotel after her husband's death in 1889, despite a fire which damaged the family home. A second guest house was added east of the first hotel in 1920 by a daughter Julia (Meyer) Ellenberger, who operated the business until her death in 1956. Frederich Christian Meyer, a native of Germany, came to Comfort only three years after the founding of the town. He and his wife bought property along Cypress Creek and on the old road to San Antonio. They enlarged their home in 1869 and this became an obvious place for a stage stop. A second house was built for Mrs. Meyer to use as a maternity hospital as she was a midwife to her neighbors. Yet another building was added to house overnight travelers. In 1887 the railroad came to Comfort. This increased the need for housing. That year the Meyer Hotel was built. This was a two-story frame building south of their residence. The upper floor of the structure was used for guests and the ground floor housed a large kitchen and a dining room. Again in 1920 a second guest house was added east of the first hotel. The hotel was being oprated by Julia Meyer Ellenberger at that time. She operated the business until her death in 1956. This hotel has been called "Das Gast House" in more recent times. This building was designated as Texas Historical Landmark in 1981.


Location of this marker:
Meyer Hotel Complex
Meyer Hotel Complex


Random order     Sort by City by Title

Idlewilde Lodge - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: U.S. Army



More info and Map Link

Staffel Family and the Staffel Store - Marker in/near Boerne


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



More info and Map Link

Early Boerne Schoolhouses - Marker in/near Boerne


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



More info and Map Link

Tunnel of the Fredericksburg & Northern Railway
August Ebers House
Ferdinand Hohenberger Farmstead
Stieler Ranch House
1907 Comfort State Bank Building
Treue Der Union (Loyalty to the Union) / The Gass Schmiede / Rice Home / Peter Joseph Ingenhuett Homestead / Paul Ingenhuett Home / Otto Brinkmann House / Ludwig Hein Home / Karger Building / Ingenhuett-Karger Saloon / Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel / Comfort Community TheatreMeyer Hotel Complex / Hygieostatic Bat Roost / Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead / Hanisch House / Freidenker (Nineteenth Century Freethinkers) / Faltin Homestead / Comfort Post Office / Comfort Community Church / August Faltin Building / Arno Schwethelm BuildingBrownsboro CemeteryKendalia Community Church / C.S.A. Home Front Producer George Wilkins Kendall
Idlewilde Lodge
Waring Schoolhouse
Welfare School / Beseler Family
Nicolaus Zink
The Engel Store - Bergheim General Store
Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff
Beseler House
Ludwig von Herrf, Dr. Ferdinand / George Wilkins KendallVogt-Clegg Log House / Theis House / Saint Helena Episcopal ChurchGerman Music in Boerne
Boerne CemeteryYe Kendall Inn / Staffel Family and the Staffel Store / Potter, Chaplain A.J. / Lex Sanitarium / Kendall County / Julius A. and Anna Phillip House / Joseph Dienger Building / Fabra Smokehouse / Boerne Chapter No. 200, Order of the Eastern Star (O.E.S.)Kuhlmann-King House / Weyrich Building / Kendall Masonic Lodge No. 897 / Kendall County Courthouse / Homesite of Albert Paul Kutzer / Henry J. Graham Building / Early Boerne Schoolhouses / 1860 Temporary Headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee
Stotts Home (Robert E. Lee House) / Saint PeterCascade Cavern

Ferdinand Hohenberger Farmstead - Marker in/near Comfort



More info and Map Link

Kendall County Courthouse - Marker in/near Boerne


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Click here for related article...
More info and Map Link

George Wilkins Kendall
Boerne Cemetery
Julius A. and Anna Phillip House
Beseler House
Saint Helena Episcopal Church
Kuhlmann-King HouseHenry J. Graham BuildingBoerne Chapter No. 200, Order of the Eastern Star (O.E.S.)Kendall Masonic Lodge No. 897
Lex SanitariumTheis HouseEarly Boerne Schoolhouses
Joseph Dienger BuildingKendall County Courthouse / Kendall CountyVogt-Clegg Log House
Ye Kendall InnGerman Music in Boerne
Fabra Smokehouse
Homesite of Albert Paul Kutzer
Staffel Family and the Staffel Store
Stotts Home (Robert E. Lee House) / 1860 Temporary Headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee
Weyrich Building
Saint Peter
James House

August Ebers House - Marker in/near Fredericksburg


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



More info and Map Link

1860 Temporary Headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee - Marker in/near Boerne


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



More info and Map Link