Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives - Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)
Marker #12370 - 2000 Built as a one-teacher school about 1878 to serve the rural Welfare community near Comfort, this building originally was located on the west side of Joshua Creek. It was moved to this site about 1902. After 1907, separate classes were held for African American students. About 1912, parents contributed funds to the erection of an addition and porch. Enrollment peaked at 25 in 1916. The structure served as a school until 1952, when students were transferred to Comfort. The single-room, wood frame structure with a stone foundation and shed roof porches is a vivid reminder of the heritage of rural Texas schools.
One room, wood fram structure with a stone foundation and shed roof porches.
Location of this marker:
Random order Sort by City by Title
Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead - Marker in/near Comfort