640 High St., Comfort, Texas   830-995-2641
           Menu:     Home       Comfort       Sisterdale       Waring       Welfare       Contact
Upcoming Activities in/around Comfort:

The beginnings of Comfort - Event in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Jay Pennington   click to their website

The beginnings of Comfort


The town was laid out by Ernst Hermann Altgelt along the banks of the Cypress Creek above its confluence with the Guadalupe River. Freemasons, freethinkers, and political activists from Bettina and Sisterdale settled the area. The town was a center of Union sentiment during the Civil War and lost many young men at the battle of the Nueces in 1862.

Hygieostatic Bat Roost
Treue Der Union (Loyalty to the Union) / Comfort Community Church
Treue der Union
1907 Comfort State Bank BuildingComfort Community Theatre / Arno Schwethelm Building
Freidenker (Nineteenth Century Freethinkers)Otto Brinkmann House / Ludwig Hein Home / Karger Building / Ingenhuett-Karger Saloon
Faltin Homestead / August Faltin BuildingThe Gass Schmiede / Paul Ingenhuett Home / Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett HomesteadPeter Joseph Ingenhuett HomesteadIngenhuett-Faust Hotel / Comfort Post Office
Hanisch HouseMeyer Hotel Complex

Windmill Inn Guesthaus 2018-04- - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Windmill Inn Guesthaus


This home was built for Carl and Louise Ingenhuett Spenrath in 1894. Among his many talents, Carl was an accomplished stone mason. Both he and his wife were descendants of pioneer families who had settled in the Comfort area. The present owners are Kurt and Shirley Pankratz Solis. The handsome original two-story limestone block structure is sturdily intact today. Modifications by previous owners enlarged the home with a complimentary stone and wooden shingle addition. The Inn consists of a foyer, living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, a study and 2 bathrooms. The 124-year-old home was built on the southern bank of Cypress Creek. It has retained its beautiful pine flooring, high ceilings, bead board interior, as well as its original thick limestone walls. One unique feature, in the living room, is an historic painting by Selena Saur from “Joe’s Café” which Shirley’s father, Joe Pankratz, established in 1954. This painting was part of a panel which hung in the café. This beautiful home is currently used as a Guesthaus and comfortably sleeps up to five people. The Windmill Inn still exemplifies the original charm of its pioneer builders and owners.



Click here to read more about it...

50 years Ago Fall 1967 1967-09-21 - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

50 years Ago Fall 1967


Checkout Fall of 1967 in Comfort. Note typesetters mistake in header. Screw Worms, 4-H Horse Club, Football Scores, Peter CedarstackerHondo Crouch and more



Click here to read more about it...

75th Anniversary - Comfort - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

75th Anniversary - Comfort


75th Anniversary - Comfort



Click here to read more about it...

Clara Moehring - Comfort 1908-08-13 - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Anne Stewart

Clara Moehring - Comfort


Miss Clara Moehring, Comfort`s female photographer, who operated her photography studio from 1908-1920.




Click here to read more about it...

Kott Hotel 1890--- - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Kott Hotel


424 Main Street, Two story hotel, built by Richard Kott in 1890, originally had eight units and was known as the `Kott Hotel`. Around 1900, Mary Crenwelge of Fredericksburg purchased the hotel. She and new husband, W.L. Surber, ran the hotel under the name `Comfort Hotel`. The Surbers would transport hotel guests to and from the train depot with their horse drawn surrey.Mr. J. Wray purchased the hotel and the entire block in 1945. He converted the hotel rooms and enclosed the porches to become six apartments and rented them until 1978. The 1978 flood caused great damage, and the hotel deteriorated and remained empty for a time. In 2003, Suzanne Wray Smith and brother Steven Wray repaired the hotel and rented the downstairs apartment. The present owners, the Wilkes, have done extensive renovation and created two charming daily guest rentals upstairs, while keeping a long-term rental apartment downstairs. The two upstairs units feature architectural antiques for walls and shelving. Newly added antique metal ceiling tiles adorn a bathroom, and the bead board walls and clawfoot bathtubs keep the early 1900s’ look. Another bathroom has a modern touch with a beautiful glass enclosed shower. Furniture pieces are built into the kitchen counters for added period authenticity and are topped with granite.



Click here to read more about it...

Fall 100 years ago 1917-09-21 - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Fall 100 years ago


100 years ago Survivor Visits Nueces Battlefield, Aunt Sallie Stokes dies, Ringling Bros., Social Clendar



Click here to read more about it...

Comfort Storyvill 2018-03- - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Comfort Storyvill


This 118 plus year old home was built for Ludwig Hein, who was a blacksmith and had his shop next door to his home. This B & B Victorian Cottage is an historical landmark. It is in the center of Comfort and has been tastefully restored, by the Storys, to a delightful retreat. In the 1920s, Southwestern Bell moved its switchboard into the front parlor of this home. The phone system was locally known as “The Comfort Telephone Company”. It was manned 24 hours per day, 7 days a week by the switchboard operator and several young girls. There was also a small bed in the room for the night person. This was the time of “party lines” with 8-10 people on one line. You would know you had a call by how many long and short rings you heard and would only pick up with your unique combination of “longs and shorts”. For many years this house was the pulse of communication for Greater Comfort. This switchboard system closed when the dial phones came into existence, and the home reverted to a single residence. This very comfortable one-bedroom B & B is lovingly decorated using a neutral white theme of wicker, wrought iron, antiques and leather. The bead board walls, high ceilings and longleaf pine floors keep its authenticity. The antiques and collectibles in this home give you the feeling of staying in a romantic early century home. Its tiny antique baby bed, nestled next to the lovely queen bed makes you instantly feel comfortable and at home. Ed and Joey Story also have available a beautiful shaded patio and back yard for summertime fun.



Click here to read more about it...

Karger Farm - 1894 - Comfort 1894 - in/near Comfort

Click photo to enlarge

Photo Credit: Photo courtesy of Anne Stewart

Karger Farm - 1894 - Comfort


The Paul and Dora Karger Farm in 1894. The large irrigation tank was built to irrigate this early commercial produce farm. Produce was taken to the Mexican Market in San Antonio to sell to the highest bidder. George Karger is on the framed structure, left to right, Dora, Paul, Betty, Elspeth and Alfred Karger.



Click here to read more about it...

Texas Historical Markers in/near Comfort

1907 Comfort State Bank Building - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Jay Pennington   click to their website



Arno Schwethelm Building - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Col. Bettie Edmonds



August Faltin Building - Marker in/near Comfort



Brownsboro Cemetery - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Natalie Morgan



Comfort Community Church - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Comfort Community Theatre - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Comfort Post Office - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Faltin Homestead - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Ferdinand Hohenberger Farmstead - Marker in/near Comfort



Freidenker (Nineteenth Century Freethinkers) - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Hanisch House - Marker in/near Comfort



Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Hygieostatic Bat Roost - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Idlewilde Lodge - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: U.S. Army



Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Ingenhuett-Karger Saloon - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Karger Building - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Ludwig Hein Home - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Meyer Hotel Complex - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Otto Brinkmann House - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Paul Ingenhuett Home - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Col. Bettie Edmonds



Peter Joseph Ingenhuett Homestead - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Bryden Moon



Rice Home - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Col. Bettie Edmonds



Stieler Ranch House - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



The Gass Schmiede - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Treue Der Union (Loyalty to the Union) - Marker in/near Comfort


Photo Credit: Dietert Historical Archives -
Patrick Heath Public Library (Boerne)



Tunnel of the Fredericksburg & Northern Railway - Marker in/near Comfort