Tickets available at The Chamber Office, High’s Cafe & Store
Waring Schoolhouse - Marker in/near Waring
Photo Credit: Janis and Ted Maxymof
Marker #5719 - 1986 Anglo pioneers in a predominantly German-settled area built the west wing of this building in 1891. Land for this first public school was given by Robert Percival Maxwell Waring, a native of Ireland for whom the town had been named in 1888. Citizens volunteered labor, funds, and materials for the building, and paid their children's tuition of $1 to $1.50 per month. The east wing was added in 1903, and exterior braces were applied in the 1930s. The school closed in 1954. (108 Avenue, Waring - from Comfort take IH-10 2 miles S, then FM 1621 5 miles E to Waring)
Some years there was a shortage of money to pay the teachers, so a tuition fee was paid for each pupil. some years it was one dollar a month, or some $1.50, and that was hard on large families at times. Teachers' pay varied, too, from maybe $50.00 to $100.00 a month or more. Some years there were two teachers, depending on the number of pupils.